Sunday, March 12, 2006

The sale

Hi Everyone!! Well, the sale went very smoothly. It was long and tiring - and I almost got into a fight - but overall, it was good.

So I bet, you want to know about the fight!! A little backstory first - on Friday night, the sellers get to shop but they have to get into line according to the time that they arrive at the sale. However, there are certain jobs at the sale that get to go first, like the coordinators and cashiers and this usually upsets the slackers b/c they have to wait. So one of the ladies that arrived on Friday was complaining and moaning that she had to wait in line. But she had arrived later than others - hence the wait. And she let Natalie have it - but Natalie is not easily shaken and told her - you don't have to sell and be a part of this if you don't want to - which shut the lady up. Okay, fast forward to Saturday, sellers meeting after the sale - and we are just wrapping up. Natalie and I are on the stage at the school going over the last few things, and Natalie mentions to remember when you get your check that if you were late arriving to the sale then you will receive a penalty deduction from your check. Well, guess who was 20 minutes late that morning?? THE LINE LADY Here is the dialogue for you! This takes place in front of 1o0 people - Natalie and I are on stage, and the group is sitting in chairs.

"Well, how much will we be penalized?" Lady
"I can't remember right now - any other questions?" N
"Well, you are sale coordinator - you should know!" Lady
"I have 3 kids, a life and I have been working here all day, sorry" N
"This is ridiculous, I feel like we are being treated like 12 year olds." Lady
"Sorry" N
"NO, this is so stupid." Lady
"Look, this is a volunteer position, and you can volunteer to do this if you like. In July there will be an election and you can vote for whomever you want to be the sales coordinator." N
"Can we vote for who we don't want to be sales coordinator?" She smirked.
THE GROUP started getting really agitated at her and telling her to stop. Did she? NO

"This whole sale has been horrible, blah, blah, blah . . . " Lady

"I would love to talk to you about this in private." Me

"Why, can't you talk about this in front of everyone?" Lady

"I am not sure that everyone else wants to hear this right now." Me and the whole group echoing my sentiments. AND she kept going, but I tuned her out - Natalie started talking, but I don't remember what she said. They stopped. And I said,
"Who here think Friday set up went well?" The group cheers. "And who here thinks the sale went smoothly?" The group cheers again. "

DID the lady stop? NO! Luckily the group told her to shup up and she stopped finally. We ended the meeting and the lady charges right up to the stage. Still going on and on about how she is being treated like a child. (And in hindsight, I should have told her she was acting like one, but I always think of the comebacks later!) She says, where does it say that I was late? I showed her where she signed and the time that she wrote, 7:40, in her own handwriting.
"This is crazy, my kids were up, that's why I was late. Can't you be flexible here?"
"We all have kids, and we all made arrangements to be here early this morning." Me
"Crazy, I have three kids." Lady
"Look, there are 94 names in front of you, all of them with 2 kids or more and they were here on time."Me
And did she shut up? No, because one her toys had been pulled by me, b/c it was broken and dirty. So, she started going at me b/c of that. But she admitted on the sale tag that it was broken, so again, by her own admission she was in the wrong. Finally, the group of women started coming up on stage and getting in between us, trying to pull us away. They were all talking about how wonderfully the sale went, how much they were impressed with how we had stayed on schedule and stuff like that. It was crazy and dh says I could get into trouble if I really told you all the words that I would have like to have used with her. It was horrible. I hate that kind of thing. I understand that women can be mean and cruel. But when I encounter the rudest of the rude, I HATE it. I keep replaying it in my head over and over. I say better things and have better comebacks, and I hope it stops soon.

But overall, there were no problems. It was amazingly smooth but I am tired. I slept for three hours on Friday night and stood from 3pm -1am on Friday and from 7AM - 5Pm. I did sleep really well last night. but now, it is 9:30 and I am typing through Desperate Housewives. And I AM GOING TO MAKE it until Gray's Anatomy. I hope that you all have a good night!


OHHHH - and my skates came on THURSDAY!! I HAD MY FIRST LESSON AND I DID MY FIRST JUMP IN YEARS!! But I will write more about that tomorrow!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

wow... what a fuitcake! but i'm glad the sale went well and i'm impressed that you take that on every year. and YAY on the skates!!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

can't wait to hear about that jump!!!!

OMG...that reminds me of plenty-o confrontations we had in college....You are so intimidating Karen! LOL. Oh memories...what a bleep! Can't believe a grown women was acting like that, was she PMSing?

6:45 AM  
Blogger annette said...

wow, that's a situation where you use "love and logic" statements like, "I'm sorry", "bummer", "that's sad," etc. she was really acting like a 12 year old. i have students more mature than that. i feel bad for her kids, what a role model to look up to! i hope that she looks back and feels ashamed of herself...

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home